Sunday, September 9, 2012

I Once Was Lost

Last I left you, faithful readers, I had five toes over the comedy cliff and the wind was at my back. If you follow my website at www.joanweisblattcomedy.com, you will see that I pulled myself back from the precipice and have 9 shows scheduled for September and the beginning of October. So, what happened? I started exercising again and eating better, but that is only part of it.  I talked to two successful and experienced comedians about what was, in my mind, a failure to connect sufficiently with the audience. They talked about the organic relationship between comic and audience, the exchange of energy, flow, relaxation and authenticity. I listened, I heard it, but I still didn't get it. Relaxation and cracking jokes on stage in front of an audience are, by all appearances, opposite. I was trying to be authentic and, in fact, felt very much like myself on stage. The flow of energy piece I didn't understand at all. Then something happened.
A few days ago, I went to an open mic and while politely sitting in the audience,  a would-be comic, from the stage, called me an asshole. Now the day hadn't started out great as it was and I could have acted my age and ignored it, but when I got up on stage, I ripped him another one of those body parts to which he had referred earlier. The audience dug it and he left. I then went on to do my material, slowly unfolding with some preternatural confidence that was new to me. And then I got it. Suddenly, I understood the flow, the energy, the relaxation, the authenticity and realized that I need someone to call me an asshole before every performance. Truly, I found a place on stage where I don't remember having been before and knew it was good. It came from not trying so hard, letting the audience do some of the work, and having the material speak for itself
I have no delusions that my comic golf swing is fixed and I'm going on to win The Masters. I did hit the   ball solidly, however, and heard a ping.  

1 comment:

  1. Do you recall having such a moment as a lawyer? A moment when you were presenting to a roomful of people in suits who all of a sudden weren't dreading being there, and maybe even listened?

    ReplyDelete