Thursday, May 5, 2011

Do You Kiss Your Mother-in-Law with that Mouth?

One of my faithful followers asked me to describe the male students' reaction to me and the interaction among us in class. I'm sure that by looking at me from the outset, the men didn't know what to expect, but everyone was friendly and polite. Once we got on stage during the first class and it became clear that I could be as sexually and scatalogically inappropriate as the next fella, I became one of the boys and no one was afraid to say anything around me or to me. I was treated like a hot babe and considered it a compliment (note to self-tell therapist). I would say, though, that there was a shift once we started performing after graduation, and I will describe that a bit later.
Graduation took place on January 9th, a Sunday night, at the Stress Factory. Joe was the emcee. We each invited friends and relatives and 300 people came to celebrate with us. I had 30 people there: my book club friends, my playgroup friends, my cousins from New York City (lawyers), my husband and children, my sister-in-law and brother-in-law from the city,  my 80 something parents and my one-month-from 90 year old in-laws.
Before the show started (and it started over an hour late) the room was very noisy and smoke billowed out of the kitchen. It was either extremely hot or very cold in the room, but I don't remember which. We each had 5 minutes and picked lots to determine the order of appearance. Joe warmed up the crowd and riffed in between performances. After memorizing and practicing my routine a million times while pacing in the bedroom, taking a shower and driving on Rt. 206 (no, I was not on my cell phone; I was, in fact, talking to myself) I was ready. Then it was my turn. I got on stage and proceeded to talk about using colon cleanser to get my former associates out of my ass, douching, fucking, sagging breasts and cock-assisted pap smears.  I would say that I got a good audience reaction and lots of high fives from my fellow graduates. My friends and relatives were complimentary, as you would expect. No one's reaction, though, was more priceless than my in-laws. They hugged and kissed me and told me how proud they were of me. My mother-in-law, a former history teacher and stickler for good grammar, diction and projection, exclaimed, "You spoke loud and clear and I could hear every word!" She meant it as a compliment and that's how I took it.

No comments:

Post a Comment